KeepHealthCare.ORG – Family ‘fuming’ at steam billowing into garden and kitchen from Turkish restaurant
A family say they are “absolutely fuming” at steam from a popular Turkish restaurant that has been “billowing” into their garden and home for months.
The problem affecting Kelly Larrisey and her family means the Prenton mum is now at “breaking point”.
She said the fumes are coming into her home from the roof vent attached to Ella Turkish Charcoal Grill on Woodchurch Road, and she has fears for her children’s health.
This week, the family have spoken to the restaurant’s owner, who said he was “deeply sorry”, and would work to solve the problem “as soon as possible”.
Kelly, 40, from Prenton, lives in a three-storey house on Woodchurch Lane that backs onto Ella with her husband and two children.
Kelly Larrisey has complained about the steam billowing into her garden from the nearby Ella Grill
She said the problem started when the building became a Turkish restaurant last year, but they’ve only noticed it since the weather has become warmer and they wanted to use the garden more.
She said: “I’m now at breaking point as we have been having an issue with the endless amounts of billowing smoke and noise for the last few months.
“We never really went out there in the winter, but as soon as the warmer weather came along around April, we just couldn’t go outside. I was absolutely fuming when I realised what was going on. That was when we approached them for the first time.”
She’s lived at the house for two years, and is concerned about the effects the fumes are having on her children aged nine and 12.
She said she went to complain to the restaurant “four times”, but the problem has continued.
Retail assistant Kelly added: “This could be causing my family an endless amount of health issues due to the inhalation of the nasty thick smoke, as well as stress.
“I have had to remove batteries from smoke alarms due to opening my kitchen door and it constantly setting them off, which is putting my family at serious risk.
Kelly Larrisey has complained about the steam billowing into her garden and kitchen from the nearby Ella Grill
“I can’t even open my windows any more as it’s so bad. I haven’t been able to dry my clothes outside either as everything that goes out there comes back smelling of barbecue.”
Kelly has been advised by a friend to get a carbon monoxide alarm, but said she’s afraid to do so as she’s worried to find out how harmful the fumes are.
She added: “I pay a lot of money to be in my home but it’s like it’s not my home anymore – my family cannot even sit in the garden.
“I have to keep my children in because I am worried about their health and safety – my daughter had been coughing and spluttering. And it’s not just about the smoke – it’s the smell too.
“It’s coming into my kitchen. I haven’t got a problem with the restaurant being there, but it’s become a big problem for my family as the problem is so intrusive. We are also worried the fumes they are emitting are toxic.
“Everyone’s got stresses and strains and this has put a lot of strain on me and my husband. I shouldn’t have to move house because of this. I am not putting up with it any more.”
Kelly has been in touch with Wirral council ‘s environmental health department, who said they were investigating.
A local authority spokesman said: “Our environmental health team have been investigating complaints of statutory nuisance and smoke emissions from these premises and are currently working with the owners of the business to address the concerns.
“We will continue to monitor issues and if any enforcement action is necessary, it will be taken.”
On Thursday, the family spoke with restaurant owner Michael Traynor, who said he was now “aware of everything” and “taking control to make sure the job is done properly”.
The canopy, ducting and fans were upgraded by the restaurant earlier this week at what the restaurant said was a cost of £2,500.
And while Kelly said that meant the noise had gone down and she “appreciated it”, the steam was still coming down into the garden.
Kelly Larrisey has complained about steam billowing from the nearby Ella Grill
Kelly added: “I am sure it will cost a lot of money for them but they are making a lot of money too.
“All I want is for them to be reasonable and put a proper filter system on it or filter it in a more efficient way so it doesn’t come into my garden.
“It’s such a close proximity – we just want the situation resolved with as little trouble as possible. “
Michael Traynor, manager of the restaurant, said he was originally under the impression the complaint had already been resolved.
He explained: “The canopy, ducting and the fans had been upgraded this week at a cost of £2,500 and I thought that was the end of the situation.
“Then following a conversation with [the family] on Thursday and actually seeing footage of the problem it is evident that this issue, although better is still causing a problem. I told them that they could contact me anytime and that I would get an expert opinion as soon as possible and rectify whatever is required.
“I have been the owner of the building and have been involved in the various businesses since 2006 and never had a complaint so this is quite damning for us as a company.
“Nobody should have to endure these problems and I will do everything I can to sort this out quickly.
“I would like to apologise to the residents and especially Kelly and her family as it seems this issue has not been taken serious and I can assure you in the short time I have been involved today positive things are now progressing that will lead to a suitable resolution for all parties.”
He said he has spoken to a ventilation and extraction specialist ,whom has agreed to meet up to “come up with a solution”.
He added: “We want people to enjoy the experience of Ella which includes all our neighbours and we also want to form positive relationships so they feel comfortable raising any concerns.
“I am deeply sorry for the problems they have endured.”